Saturday 14 June 2014

Tuning Out

Hello my fellow addicts. In my very first post I talked about things that you may be addicted to, that are in fact harmless. Things such as eating sweets or biting your finger nails. Today I'd like to present to you something that 99% of people might do everyday, that they didn't know was actually an addiction. You might even find that you do these things yourself!

This thing is, listening to music. How could listening to music be considered an addiction? To explain, I'll refer back to my four steps of forming an addiction in post number two, "Jumping In With Both Feet".
So, step one, you started listening to music, of any kind for whatever reason, meaning you have been exposed to it.
Step two, you enjoyed what you were hearing immensely!
Step three, you start to form a habit of listening to music. You find yourself listening to it while walking, while studying, while driving. Next thing you know it has turned into a dependancy. You are now listening to music in class, and while in public areas instead of socializing with others.
Step four, you start to notice that you can't function without music anymore. Your workouts aren't intense if there is no music playing. You can't study without it. You can't even fall asleep without it.

There you have it, you are addicted to listening to music. Pretty strange how just an everyday activity like that could eventually become addictive. Of course, do not think that by listening to music often makes you an addict… Many people, myself included, listen to music as much as possible because often it reflects our mood and our feelings at that time, or can even bring us back to a different time in our lives when we had previously heard that song. Only if listening to music becomes and necessity, and you absolutely cannot go without, does it then qualify as an addiction.

I hope I opened your eyes to something new today!  
 

5 comments:

  1. This post is actually rather eye opening. I must admit there is a chance I may have a slight addiction to music. Of course that could be the choreographer/dancer in me though. It is apparent that many people are addicted to music, like Joel for example. I don't remember the last time I saw him without his headphones for longer than an hour or so. Good job on picking this specific subject, it applies rather well to our age group and society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHHH NOOO! There can be such thing as an addiction to music. Well heck, as soon as i read the word "music" in this post, i automatically knew for sure that if I was not an addict of anything else music would be my absolute addiction. But hey, I admit it, isn't that like the first step of overcoming an addiction? Haha anyways, after reading your blog I now know that I may have to watch out for the simple things that I do because, it might just be an addiction. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, then! You may colour me surprised. I don't think I've ever thought of my dependency on music as a... well, a "dependency". I wouldn't say I'm completely addicted, being someone who enjoys her silences are too much, but if there's a fine line between appreciation and addiction, I'm definitely toeing that line. Either way, this post has been illuminating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that listening to music is addicting. It's a routine for me that every morning on the bus I have to listen to music. I feel like if I don't listen music then I'm just going to be cranky for the rest of the day. I use music to calm me down or even sometimes to hype me up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't say it is so much a dependancy, as it is more of an intense enjoyment for me. I am not dependent on my music at all really, but that's not to say I don't really enjoy music or even sometimes feel the need to listen to music. The reason I sometimes feel the need for music is to boost my mood! When I'm listening to a really great song, my whole attitude and mood changes! It's the same feeling I get after I go for a run and I feel super energized and happy. Anyway, great job Benny!

    ReplyDelete