Sunday 18 May 2014

Xbots

Hello again my fellow addicts! I return to you with another addiction that perhaps you haven't ever given any thought to. The video game addiction. Yes, as a matter of fact, you can become addicted to such a thing. I, for one don't play very many video games. In fact I've only ever finished two games in my entire life. So I don't really understand how you could become addicted to a video game, but I do agree that they can be very entertaining!

Time for the science behind this.
Clearly a video game is not any type of substance, meaning it isn't classified as a substance addiction, it's more of a behavioural addiction. Now because it is not substance related, it is difficult to pin-point the biological effects of the addiction, but assumptions can be made. According to webMD.com, it is a "clinical impulse control disorder". This classifies it under the same category as gambling addictions. The only biological effect known from gambling addictions is that it increases the amount of dopamine in the blood stream... That's about all they know. (webMD.com)

Withdrawal
On a less scientific scale, there are many things that they can point out about this specific addiction!
Video-game-addiction.org tells us that 10-15% of avid gamers show signs that meet the World Health Organization's criteria for addiction. Pretty obvious signs such as throwing fits when removed from the source. Or even using video games as a way to escape life and stress, much like why an alcoholic drinks (webMD.com). Research shows that this addiction is becoming more and more common amongst pre-teens and teenagers, due to the exposure to video games at such a young age (video-game-addiciton.org).

Now that you have the back ground information to this addiction, I'll give you my two cents on the matter. Now that I've read up on the matter, I agree 100% that it is a legitimate addiction. It makes sense that people would use video games to escape reality and stress. When you have 4 projects due in a week, what better to do than to procrastinate and play GTA V where you can do whatever you want, care-free, make millions of dollars and just spend it on whatever you desire. I just don't find that very amusing which is why I struggle to understand this addiction completely. I also think that living in a world where parents treat children as burdens and distract them with iPhones and iPads instead of playing with their kids doesn't help. The more you expose your kids to it, the more likely it is for them to become addicts them selves. In this type of situation, all I have to say is that ignorance is in fact bliss.

Put the controller down and go find a friend to hangout with!

Sources:
http://www.video-game-addiction.org
http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/features/video-game-addiction-no-fun

8 comments:

  1. I used to be a very, shall we say, dedicated gamer and may have been borderline addicted to Call of Duty in my youth. I am pleased to report that those days are behind me. In hindsight, as entertaining as those games were, they pose a certain danger to the minds of young teens. Undoubtedly, they prefer to spend their day in front of a television screen rather than spending quality time with family (a parallel can be drawn with cell phone addiction nowadays). I find that the time I spent getting to know myself, my family and friends has been rather character building, something you won't get from killing people repeatedly online. It's addictive, and self-destructive, and definitely dangerous long term. Great blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Benjamina, my younger brother (and your dearest childhood friend) seems to have a gaming addiction these days. He stays up until the wee hours of the morning giggling into his headset and beating the crap out of burly hockey players in " 'Chell " with his buddies. What bothers me isn't that the living room is constantly occupied, but rather how enthralled and captivated he gets into his games. I have to fight for his attention when asking a question, and I have to bear through all the screams of celebration and despair. But when I think back to those summer days when we used to sit around and play N64 for hours, I remember how intense some of those games would get (i.e. fighting for the purple controller, or hitting the restart button on the console after losing *cough cough* Jack...) so I guess I can relate to his addiction... Kind of. Anywho, good work on your anthology of blogs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what Ben, I’ve always said that playing video games is pointless but just recently I bought Xbox Live for the first time to try it out and not going lie, it is addicting. I find it fun being able to play against others around the world. Especially talking trash to others (that’s the best part).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frugal blog post, Ben. Definitely one of your best ones so far. I really agree with your point of view concerning video games and computers. In fact, I'd like to put your advice to use but sadly I must sit here and comment on people's blogs. Once I'm done though I'll definitely go outside and do something productive with my time. Have a nice Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly Ben, let me tell you that when I was young, video games were my life. I had to play at least a couple of hours everyday. I admit that I was probably addicted because sometimes I'd choose playing instead of eating. But now, I hardly have time for games and I find it a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Benji, I really enjoyed this post. My younger brothers sometimes show signs of video game addictions, but I don't blame them! If I wasn't so constantly busy I would probably be addicted to video games myself. I'm so jealous of everyone who has time to play xbox for hours on end. Hopefully this summer I'll find some time to fit in a couple more hours of gaming, for leisurely and relaxing purposes of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ben my friend only finished 2 video games!!! You must be crazy my goal this summer is to lend you some video games to play! I'm gonna make sure you finish atleast 5 by the end of the summer. Trust me it will be fun video games rule man!!! You dig bro!? 2+1=4

    ReplyDelete
  8. God I remember the days I was addicted to playing Halo and Call of Duty, I used to have of over 20 days played on each video game I played. Imagine that, so much hours played that it started calculating it in days. Video games were my addiction when I was younger and to this day, I regret playing them.

    ReplyDelete